When surveying the 2014 beach season’s hottest swimwear trends, two words come to mind – classic and sexy. Classic vintage-inspired looks combine with fresh and modern silhouettes to offer up a wide variety of swimming ensembles that are as fashionable as they are practical for women and men.
Four styles jump out for women in the 2014 season.
- Crochet – a hit over 30 years ago, crochet suits have made a comeback.
- Macramé – just like crochet, macramé is coming back this season. Subtle details on neck straps and the sides of swimsuit bottoms are just the beginning.
- Neons – bold, bright colors in throwback shades of fluorescent green, yellow, pink and orange guarantee you’ll make a splash in any pool.
- Classic nautical – One and two-piece suits featuring those stripes in shades of navy blue, white, bright reds adorned with silver and gold-plated anchor embellishments, polka-dotted bows, and knotted rope details are popping up on beaches everywhere.
For men, there are only two styles to consider this season: the cropped nylon short and the tailored swim short reminiscent of the 1960’s and 1970’s. When it comes to color, stick to solids in timeless hues like navy, charcoal, khaki or black, or summer pastels like a sky blue. For a bolder look try trendy prints and patterns.
- The Cropped Nylon Swim Short – cropped nylon (or polyester) swim shorts are highly reminiscent of old-school running shorts – complete with curved hems and a cut that finishes no lower than mid-thigh. Pair these shorts with cotton sweatshirts and other sportswear-inspired pieces for both comfort and style.
- The Tailored Swim Short – these shorts are perfect for almost any man. While many lengths hit closer to mid-thigh, chose the cut that makes you comfortable. Look for side adjusters, similar to what you would find on tailored trousers, or button/popper fastenings. Combine this look with lightweight linen and cotton shirts.
Whether your fashion personality is vintage, classic, or ultra-modern and trendy, this year’s timeless swimwear styles will have you looking fabulous all season long.
Leave a Comment