Good News! You landed that job you have been after. But a quick look inside your closet tells you that you lack some basics for a good office wardrobe. Don’t despair! Even on a limited budget you can create a diverse wardrobe with one week’s worth of clothes.
A professional wardrobe that will last with proper care.
- Find out about your new employer’s dress code or expectations
- Buy your larger pieces (suits, jackets, skirts) in neutral colors such as black, tan/taupe, grey and navy blue. These colors blend well and you can wear them often without notice.
- Purchase three to five shirts or blouses in subtle colors that blend and mix well with your pants or skirt and jacket.
- With these tops, two pairs of pants or skirts and two jackets, you can create up to 10 different outfits – enough clothes for two weeks.
- Be consistent in your style. Include a “splash” of color that can set an outfit apart.
- Don’t forget accessories – they can make or break an outfit. The right pair of shoes or that perfect tie or belt or purse.
Make a list of what you need to create your wardrobe. Once you have your list and your budget, make a list of places to shop. Don’t forget thrift and consignment stores! You can get amazing suits at these stores. And, remember, the professional tailors at Flair Cleaners can turn any suit into a custom ensemble. Our shoe repair specialist can make a gently worn pair of shoes look like new.
Watch for sales and check out off-price retail stores. Ask your family if they have items on your list that they no longer wear. Bring them to Flair Cleaners for complete laundering and dry cleaning and if need be, alterations.
Most important, make sure your clothes are comfortable. When trying on business suits, be sure to sit down. The last thing you want to do is invest in clothing that cuts or binds you in an uncomfortable way. Don’t forget your feet. Make sure they will survive eight hours or more in your new shoes or heels.
When it comes to fabric, quality is always better than quantity. You are investing in a wardrobe to last.
To keep your new wardrobe looking its best, bring it to the cleaning professional at any of our five Flair Cleaners locations – Santa Monica, Redondo Beach, Studio City, Burbank or Valencia.
Leave a Comment