There are many, many things to know about laundry, more than you can imagine. Luckily, there is a list of things you should never put in the washing machine. Here are our top five.
- Suits. High quality fabrics used in suits shrink and tear, even on delicate cycles. To keep looking your best bring them to Flair Cleaners. In between, use a steamer to de-wrinkle your suit.
- Blankets. Keep your cozy throw blankets in good shape with regular cleaning. Remember, though, many throw blankets are dry clean only. Always check the tag first. If you put it in the wash, the blanket may lose the soft feel or it could shrink, depending on the material.
- Sweaters. When made of materials like wool, velvet, or cashmere, sweaters can easily get ruined in the wash. The delicate fabrics can’t withstand the harsh motions of a washing machine and may turn out matted or smaller. When in doubt check the care instructions or send them to Flair Cleaners.
- Embellished Garments. All that glitters…should go to the dry cleaner. Embellishments that are sewn on easily tear in the washer. Glued embellishments fall off as hot water can break down the adhesive. Hand-washing is the safest choice and will keep you sparkling.
- Lace. A fragile fabric, it is no surprise that lace garments don’t hold up well in the washing machine. These intricate clothes are best cleaned by hand. Use cold water and avoid heavy scrubbing because if you wanted a hole, you could have just used the washing machine. Hang dry them instead of putting them in the dryer.
Leave a Comment